Tips On Taking Baby To The Beach!
Nothing says summer quite like the sun, sea and sand, it’s the perfect summer combination! But beach days may be a little different from what you are used to when your little one’s are tagging along on your seaside adventures.
Whether you’re jetting off to the beautiful beaches abroad or visiting one on your staycation it’s important that you are fully prepared, so we are here to help you on what to pack along with hacks to help make your beach day run as smoothly as possible!
Let’s talk shade…
If your little one is younger than 6 months you should try and avoid using sun cream on them. This is because the chemicals in the sun cream can be too harsh for their delicate skin. The way to protect their skin it to keep them in the shade as much as possible. On top of this, you should dress your little one in protective clothing, a wide rim hat, and sunglasses.
If your little one is over 6 months, then sun cream is recommended. You should apply a generous amount of sun cream to your little one even if it seems a bit cloudy as UV rays can still penetrate the clouds and damage your baby’s skin. You should apply your beach baby’s sun cream 15 – 30 minutes before heading out and reapply every two hours or more often if they are playing in water.
Although babies over 6 months can wear sun cream, they shouldn’t be exposed to the sun more than is needed. Keep them in the shade as much as you possibly can and make sure they are wearing their protective clothing!
What to take…
When you are taking your little one out it can be hard not to take everything but the kitchen sink! We’ve all been there, adding items you don’t need because ‘just in case.’ We recommend keeping your beach day checklist small, so you don’t have to worry about juggling your beach items and your little wriggler!
- We recommend taking a few towels as they will get wet and mucky quite quickly. Ziggle’s hooded ponchos are a parent’s best friend during beach days as your little one will not only dry super-fast but they are perfect for staycation beach trips to keep you little one warm if it’s a little chilly!
- Umbrella/ UV sun tent- As mentioned above it’s important to keep your little one in shade so they are protected from the sun.
- Blanket/ Beach towel – This is the perfect way to help not getting sand stuck all over you, because we all know the struggles of finding sand in your shoes weeks later!
- Baby Powder – This will help the sand come off your little one without having to aggressively rub their skin.
- Sun cream – you should use at least factor 30 on your little one.
- Protective clothing
- Swim nappies
- Snacks and water – you will definitely need to re charge you batteries whilst your having your beach day adventures, so make sure to pack some snacks and water to keep you and your little one going!
- Bucket and spade- no beach day is complete without a bucket and spade!
Lastly, go with the flow!
Your beach day might not be what you expect, especially if it is your little one’s first time! Your beach day might only be a beach hour but this is okay as it’s a whole new experience for you and your little one and you are both getting used to it! The beach is also a part of your little one’s sensory journey. They have new textures to explore, sounds of the sea to listen to and splashing in the shallow ends of the water, so have fun and enjoy watching your little one discover a whole new world!
Let us know how your beach day goes over on our Instagram!
Love, Team Ziggle!